Storm II break away at the top of the SBL U14s

Dorset Storm Basketball Club Solent League Under 14s Friday 29th November 201306

Storm II maintain bragging rights as they defeat Weymouth and Storm I to move clear at the top of the SBL Under 14s.

In game one on Friday Storm II played Weymouth. Harry Batson opened the scoring for Storm before Weymouth responded in a tight first quarter.  It was Weymouth who had the lead at the quarter 7 – 4.   In quarter number two Storm II stepped up, as scores from Tom Stocks, Charlie Long, Josh Strongman and Kundiso Majome helped them race into a 16 – 7 halftime lead.  Storm  II continued to play well in the third as they stretched their lead up to 15 points by the end of the quarter. During the final quarter both teams exchange baskets and a late run from Weymouth got the deficit back into single figures.  Storm II had enough in them to hold on for 30–23 victory.

Dorset Storm Basketball Club Solent League Under 14s Friday 29th November 201338Game number two of the evening saw Storm I take on Weymouth. Storm I playing with only five players due to late withdrawals, got off to a great start. Some good team defence and excellent finishing under the basket allowed them to lead 14– 6 at the end of the first period. They continued their exceptional play in the second period with scores from many different players. At the half the lead was 34 – 12. Some great passing and spacing on offence saw Storm I continue to dominate in the second half.  In the third quarter all five players scored as Storm I lead 50 – 18. The fourth quarter saw Storm I continued to play well as they finished victors 63 – 26.

The final game of the evening was the interclub battle between Storm I and Storm II. The game was tight in the opening quarter as neither team could get away. Back to back scores from Charlie Long gave Storm II a 16 – 9 lead.  Dorset Storm Basketball Club Solent League Under 14s Friday 29th November 201325A three point shot from Harry Jackson closed the gap for Storm I at the end of the quarter but they still trailed 16 – 12.  The teams continued to be evenly matched in the second period, with some missed free throws being Storm I’s main downfall. Storm II still lead at the half 25 – 19.  Storm I came out fighting in the third period as they went on a run to reduce the deficit to just one basket thanks mainly to 6 points from Callum Crook.  Tom Stocks led the response from Storm II and once again it was Storm II who led 33 – 25 at the end of the third period.  In a tense final period both teams battled hard. The gap between the teams remained much the same throughout quarter. As Storm I chased the game in the last two minutes Storm II kept their cool from the free throw line as they finished 44– 34 winners.